Finding the Correct Truck Cap Replacement Parts
Looking to replace or add some parts for your truck cap? Regardless of what you call it, truck cap, topper, or camper shell, finding the correct part can be a challenge. If you are not exactly sure, then you are at the right place. Finding the best parts that fit well can at times prove to be challenging considering the many brands, part numbers and specifications. In addition, the numerous dealers can sometimes leave you with too many choices to find the perfect parts. So, how should you go about choosing the right truck cap parts for you?
Choosing the Right Truck Cap Parts
As much as it may prove challenging to find the correct part, you can still find the best replacement part if only you try to gather as much information as possible about the brand and the specifications about the part you need to add or replace on your truck cap. Below are some factors to consider before making a purchase for the right part for your truck topper.
- Identify the correct brand and part number - Regardless of the part that you need, such as handle, light, lift support gas prop or clamps, the most reliable way to ensure the part fits is to match the brand and part number. For example, if you need to replace a gas prop, the brand and part number will be written on the shaft, such as Suspa C16-06389. For locks, the brand may be stamped on the key and for lights it may be necessary to remove the plastic lens cover to identify the brand and part number. Spending a little extra time to identify all or part of this information can save you allot of time in the long run and avoid needless returns and exchanges. A common question we often get is “I can’t find the brand and part number of the part I need”. Sometimes to part number is just not there, is not legible or the part is self is just not there. Each truck topper or camper shell should have a serial number. If you look carefully you should be able to find a plate inside the truck cap with the serial number on it. If you call a local dealer for your topper brand, such are A.R.E., Leer, Jericho and others, with the serial number they should be able to identify the brand and part number you need.
- Getting the correct specifications - Sometimes a part number is just not available or you may be adding a new part rather than a replacement. In this case it may require doing some measurements and comparing options that may be available. Locks come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, have different shaft length, base length and handle length. You also need to know how far apart the screw holes are to ensure the new lock aligns correctly with the place where it needs to be mounted. Lights (both dome and third brake light) have different lens length, base length and wire length. The wiring specifications also need to be considered, especially considering other electrical components that get wired to it. Gas prop lift supports have both compressed length and extended length specifications. All of these measurements re important to make sure the part fits correctly on your truck topper. Gas props also have pressure measured in pounds (typical for Suspa) or Newtons (typical for Stabilus Lift-o-mat) represented by an “N”. Pressure is important because if there is not enough pressure, the lid or door will not be supported and if there is too much pressure, you will not be able to close it.
- Quality of the truck cap part - It is import to get genuine brand name replacement and add-on part. We strive to offer the best quality parts available and often the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) if possible. Be careful of the many imported “imitation” parts that look and feel the same but have significant quality issues. Saving a couple dollars and installing an inferior product will cost much more in the long run both in time and money. The quality plays a key role in determining whether or not you will get value for your money.
- Price - We understand that pricing is a key factor when shopping for a product online. We strive to offer the most competitive price for the product available and with a wide variety of products to fit your budget. You can rest assured that you are getting a quality product, professional service and a no hassle return policy. We want you to buy with confidence, so if the part does not fit your truck cap, topper or camper shell, or is simply no longer needed just return it for a refund.
- Dealer - You want to ensure that you get genuine truck cap parts and accessories and avoid the knock-offs or imitations often found online. That will often depend on the where you decide to make your purchase. While the image online may look the same you want to ensure that what you ordered meets your needs and expectations. Be sure to order from a store that sells high quality and genuine parts. This will go a long way in ensuring you find parts that will serve you for a long time.
- Brand comparison - Before deciding on a t-handle lock, light, lift support gas props or any other part for your camper shell or topper, ensure you gather information about the different brands. While some brands are interchangeable others are not. Some brands offer multiple models with the same fitment but differ in usability, such as heavy duty or not. Understanding this information will help as a guideline to help you find the perfect topper part.
The first and most import step when buying a new part for your topper or truck cap is to ensure that the part fits. Getting the brand, part number and specifications for your part will go a long way to ensure a proper fitment. Next you need to make sure that you are getting a quality product to avoid the cost and disappointment of installing inferior topper parts. Finally make sure that you buy from a reputable, established store to ensure you have a smooth and easy transaction and a no hassle return policy. This information should help in making your search and buying experience for replacement parts easier and better. If you have feedback or suggestions on how we can serve you better, please let us know.