Menu Close
    Back to all

    How to Identify and Measure Universal Lift Supports

    How to Identify and Measure Universal Lift Supports

    Universal lift supports are used on a wide variety of applications, such as:

    • Truck Caps, Toppers and Camper Shells
    • Tonneau Covers
    • Campers and RV's
    • Trailers
    • Tool Boxes
    • Marine
    • Other universal applications

    Please note that universal lift supports are not used for automotive applications, such as hoods, trunks and hatches.  To identify the correct automotive lift support, please see our automotive lift supports product category.

    Measuring the Lift Supports

    If you are not able to find an exact match, just follow this easy step by step process:

    1. Measure the Extended Length:
      Measure your old lift support from the middle of each rod connection point (ball socket or eyelet), not from the absolute ends.
      lift supprt length

    2. Measure the Rod Length:
      Measure the Rod Length from the middle of the rod end connection point to where the rod meets the tube.
      lift support rod length

    3. Calculate Compressed Length:
      Compressed Length is determined by subtracting Rod Length (Step 2) from Extended Length (Step 1).

    4. Identify Connection Type On Each End:
      The end fittings may be a Ball Sockets or an Eyelet style on either the Rod End or Tube End.

           Ball Socket
      ball socket end fitting

      eyelet end fitting

    5. Identify the Force (Pressure) In Pounds:
      Look on the tube end for the rate in force, this may be in lbs. or Newtons.
      If you see a number followed by an “N” this is Newtons, divide the figure by 4.45 to convert to pounds.

    The below video further demonstrates how to measure and identify the correct universal lift support for your application. 


    If you still need help on finding or replacing your lift supports, just Contact Us and our knowledgeable and friendly staff will assist you.

    Lift supports are also known as props, gas props, struts, gas struts or just supports.  Regardless of what you call it, you will be sure to find the right part at the right price for your replacement. 

    Write a comment Close
    Have a Carryboy cap on 2002 F-150 pickup. Try I’m
    Looking for replacement lift support struts for rear window on cap.  The ends are threaded and screw into upper and lower Carryboy hardware. Can you help me?